As you review the correct answers, you may be surprised to learn about the need for and commitment to compassion in our country and church.
We’ve also provided links to the source of data that will help you keep up with these statistics in the future.
1. What percentage of Americans lived below the poverty line* in 2009?
14% according to the the US Census Bureau – which provides a lot of information about our country’s poor (Visit the Census Bureau’s site for more details.)
*The poverty threshold varies by family size and age. A family of 2 adults and 2 children was “in poverty” if the yearly income was less than $22,756 in 2009. (Census.gov includes additional measurements of poverty)
2. If you enter each of the following keywords in a database of US nonprofits, which of them receives the largest number of hits for related nonprofits?
We were shocked to discover that the term Animal drew 25,458 hits on the Guidestar nonprofit database on 4/28/11 compared to 17,250 for Museum (that many?), 7,258 for Cancer, 5,432 for Poverty and 2,424 for Compassion. What does that tell you?
3. If you enter each of the following keywords to search the same nonprofit database, which receives the fewest number of hits?
Compassion ranked lowest – see the total hits in answer 2.
4. Through the writing of one of His prophets, God indicates what it means to “know the Lord:
This is what the LORD says: “Do what is just and right. Rescue from the hand of the oppressor the one who has been robbed. Do no wrong or violence to the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow, and do not shed innocent blood in this place.” “He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?” declares the LORD.
These passages are found in which Old Testament book?
Jeremiah 22: 3 and 16 are just two of many, many Old Testament passages where God indicates his heart for the disenfranchised. The Prophets also declared that anyone who claims to know the Lord will share that same burden.
5. United Way was recently listed as the largest US charity in terms of private donations ($3.8B). Of charities focused on domestic relief (not international relief or medically-related), which organization came in second place?
Bell-ringing must be a fairly successful fundraising tactic! The Salvation Army comes second with a whopping $1.7B of funds raised (for the last year reported prior to 11/2010). This organization demonstrates that gospel ministry and care for the poor go hand in hand.
The rest of the organizations raised from $566M (Habitat) to $940M (Catholic Charities). Keep up with charities and how well they use your donations at Forbe’s Magazine’s annual ranking.
6. In which gospel account did Jesus claim to have fulfilled the following Old Testament prophecy?
The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.
Jesus’ first public sermon in Luke 4: 16-21 indicates that our Lord has the same heart for the disenfranchised as His Father. The example and command to care for the poor, the prisoners, the blind, and the oppressed is found in the New Testament as well as the Old Testament. James points out that such work is evidence that we know God, too.
7. Christians worldwide had personal income totaling more than $16 trillion in 2007. How much of that income was donated to Christian causes?
Christians gave just 2% of their income ($370B) to Christian causes in 2007. What’s that about a tithe (10%)? Especially when Jesus gave us His life!
Generous Giving provided these statistics and many more. This organization helps individuals give generously to others out of the treasure God has entrusted them with.
8. According to one recent study, what percent of the country’s congregations take part in or support social service, community development, or neighborhood organizing projects?
83% of congregations are involved in helping their communities. It’s great that a majority of faith-based organizations send volunteers out. But what percent of volunteers goes out from each congregation? Our goal is to raise the number of compassion volunteers in Churches. (Find more volunteer stats at Volunteering in America)
Thank you for taking the Compassion Quiz!
Need to increase your CQ? Then join the Compassion Revolution!